Date: September 21-22, 2016
September 21 Education - Why is polymer ageing of concern?
Preliminary schedule 9.00-17.00
The following topics were covered:
- Importance of polymeric components
- Basics of polymer degradation
- Polymer types in use
- Degradation stressors & mechanisms
- Ageing effects on macroscopic properties
- Accelerated ageing – thermal & radiation
- Diffusion-limited oxidation – why is it important?
- Dose rate effects and synergism
- Pigment/formulation effects
- Special situations
- Reverse temperature effect
- Temperature transients in seals
An overview of assessment of aged polymeric components and lifetime prediction methods was also given.
Links to useful documents:
- EPRI guide: Integrated Cable System Aging Management Guidance: Low-Voltage Cable
- EPRI program: Cable Polymer Aging and Condition Monitoring Research at Sandia National Laboratories Under the Nuclear Energy Plant Optimization (N EPO) Program
- EPRI: Guideline for the Management of Adverse Localized Equipment
- Parker O-ring Handbook
September 22 COMRADE workshop
9.00-14.00 Results from the COMRADE Project were presented and discussed in workshop format, the documentation is found below.
- Full project plan
- WP1: Development of condition monitoring methods for polymeric components including low dose rate radiation exposure
- WP2: Barsebäck
- WP3: Polymer ageing mechanisms and effects inside NPP containments
- WP3: Literature review Modelling tools for the synergistic effects of radiation and heat