Polymeric materials are used for many applications in nuclear power plants. They are quite complex, since their properties and aging mechanisms are highly dependent on their composition. The research in the SAMPO project is focused on safe long-term use of polymer components and improving their ageing management. This is done by studying ageing mechanisms of polymers, determining how to set acceptance criterion properly and providing robust tools for condition monitoring.
These topics become more relevant as the original planned lifetime of the plants is approaching and extension is considered. Safety criteria assessment and ageing management needs to be at sufficient level in order to prevent premature component breakdown and avoiding endangering the overall safety. The SAMPO project is financed by the Finnish Nuclear Waste Management Fund, the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd and the owners of the Swedish and Finnish nuclear power plants.
Submit a presentation by sending an e-mail to Monika Adsten at the latest by August 18. Describe your presentation and your affiliation shortly.
- Development of quality management tools for polymeric components, Konsta Sipilä, VTT
- Application of molecular dynamics simulations in predicting the ageing of XLPE, Jukka Vaari, VTT
- Introduction to a NPP joint sealant study, Konsta Sipilä, VTT
- Replacement of sealant for the secondary sealing in a reactor containment, Ulrik Brandin, Oskarshamn NPP
- Pyrolysis modelling of aged polyethylene, Jukka Vaari, VTT
- Aging of elastomer O-rings and PE neutron shielding materials for radioactive waste containers, Anja Kömmling, Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und –prüfung (BAM)
- Thermal degradation in polymeric materials using microcalorimetry, Mohit Pushp, RISE
- Online Permittivity Measurements of Ageing EPDM Rubber in a Laboratory Environment at up to GHz Frequencies, Henrik Toss, RISE
- Qualification of NBR-material in heat exchangers, Maria Ekelund, Westinghouse and Annelie Jansson, Forsmark NPP
- Evaluation of Phenomena Observed During Accelerated Aging of Cable Insulations, Trevor Toll, Lead Engineer for the Materials Testing Laboratory at Analysis and Measurement Services Corporation (AMS)